Step 4: Undergo clinical training

During your clinical training period you demonstrate your practical knowledge and skills and your suitability for the profession. At the same time, you will see how the Swedish healthcare system works.

Follow these steps

  1. You have to find a workplace yourself where you can do your clinical training.
  2. When you have found a workplace, your employer must apply for special authorisation.
  3. When you have completed your training, your manager and your supervisor will fill out a certificate for your clinical training (in swedish). You must also sign the certificate.
  4. Enclose the certificate when you submit your application for a licence in the next step.

Work as a doctor of medicine before you begin your clinical training

If you have passed the proficiency test at Umeå University, you can work as a doctor of medicine for a limited period before you begin your clinical training. In order to do this, you need to have a temporary permission, i.e. special authorisation. The workplace where you will be working will apply to us for special authorisation. You can obtain permission to work for six months. This period cannot be extended and you cannot obtain permission for more than one period.

Application form for special authorisation

Frequently asked questions

How long is the period of clinical training?

Your period of clinical training will last for 6 months and you must find a training position yourself. The Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen) does not give any financial aid during your clinical training.

If you have questions on how to support yourself during that time it might be a good idea to contact the Public Employment Service, (Arbetsförmedlingen).

Can I skip clinical training if I have worked in my profession?

No. You will need to undergo clinical training even if you have practised your profession before. Previous experience does not entitle you to a shorter period of clinical training.

Can I do my clinical training in different workplaces?

No. You will undergo all your clinical training at one and the same workplace. This may be a healthcare centre or a hospital ward where you have contact with a great many patients and can work alongside other healthcare professionals. It is the workplace that determines whether or not it is a suitable place for your clinical training. The certificate of clinical training contains more information about requirements for a workplace to be able to accept you for training.
Certificate of clinical training (in Swedish)

Do you have furhter questions about this step?

Contact us at the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare. You can send an e-mail at or call us at 075-247 30 00.


Publication date: