Step 1: Additional training

Instead of turning to us first, you can take additional training at a college or University and do a PTP (Practical Service for Psychologists) and then apply for a licence.

When you apply for a licence after additional training you have to use the application form for educated outside of the EU and EEA. You can not apply via the e-service for educated in Sweden.

There is a limited number of places at the additional training at a few different universities. Each university decides the requirements to be able to attend the the additional training.

Follow these steps

  1. Apply for additional training.
  2. Send us a certificate when your additional training has been approved.
  3. 3. You will then receive a decision from us that you can do your internship (PTP).

The following institutions offer additional training:

Frequently asked questions

How many places are there at additional training?

That depends on which university you apply to. Ask the university.

Can I attend the addional training as a distance education?

No. There might be some courses that are available on distance, but you have to check with the university what applies.

Am I entitled to study allowance when I attend the additional training?

You may be entitled to study allowance for additional training – contact CSN.

Do I need to be able to speak swedish to attend the additional training?


Do I need a residence permit or have a Swedish personal identity number?

We do not require that you have a Swedish social security or coordination number, a residence permit or that you live in Sweden to have your education assessed (step 1). However, you need a Swedish social security or coordination number when it's time to apply for a licence (step 5).

In order to practice or go to school in Sweden you will have to obtain a residence or work permit from the Swedish Migration Board (Migrationsverket).

It is important that you notify us if you have updated your personal data, e.g. get a social security number or coordination number or change your name, so that we can update the information in the register for Healthcare professionals (HOSP).

Do you have questions about how to apply?

Telephone: 075-247 30 00
Telephone hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9–11

Do you have questions about your current application?

If you have submitted an application and have questions about your application, you can contact us. Always state your case number (diary number). During the summer, we have lower staffing, which results in longer response times to incoming questions.

Telephone: 075-247 30 00
Telephone hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9–11


Publication date: