Step1: Additional training

Instead of turning to us first, you can take additional training at a college or university before applying for a licence.

When you apply for a licence after additional training you have to use the application form for educated outside of the EU and EEA. You can not apply via the e-service for educated in Sweden.

There is a limited number of places at the additional training at a few different universities. Each university decides the requirements to be able to attend the the additional training.

This is what you do

  1. Apply for additional training
  2. Send us a certificate when your additional training has been approved.

The following institutions offer additional training to become a nurse resposible for general care:

How long does it take?

Assuming you have included all the required information, processing an application for a licence currently takes approximately 2–4 weeks.

When we receive your application, we will review the police records to verify that you have not been convicted of a serious criminal offence. If your name appears in the records, we will contact you in order to evaluate the situation on an individual basis. You will then have to wait a bit longer than normal.

Frequently asked questions

How many places are there at additional training?

That depends on which university you apply to. Ask the university.

Can I attend the addional training as a distance education?

No. There might be some courses that are available on distance, but you have to check with the university what applies.

Am I entitled to study allowance when I attend the additional training?

You may be entitled to study allowance for additional training – contact CSN.

Do I need to be able to speak swedish to attend the additional training?


Do I need a residence permit or have a Swedish personal identity number?

No. You may obtain a licence even if you do not have a Swedish personal identity number, residence permit or address. In order to practice or go to school in Sweden, however, you will have to obtain a residence or work permit from the Swedish Migration Board (Migrationsverket). It is important that you notify us when you have received a Swedish social security number so that we can update the information in the register for Healthcare professionals (HOSP).

Do you have questions about how to apply?

Telephone: 075-247 30 00
Telephone hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9–11

Do you have questions about your current application?

If you have submitted an application and have questions about your application, you can contact us. Always state your case number (diary number). During the summer, we have lower staffing, which results in longer response times to incoming questions.

Telephone: 075-247 30 00
Telephone hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9–11

Publication date: