Step 4: Undergo clinical training

During your clinical training period you demonstrate your practical knowledge and skills and your suitability for the profession. At the same time, you will see how the Swedish healthcare system works.

You will undergo your clinical training at two workplaces for three months each in no particular order. You complete one training period at a maternity ward and another one at a midwife’s clinic.

Follow these steps

  1. You have to find a workplace yourself where you can do your clinical training.
  2. When you have found a workplace, your employer must apply for special authorisation.
  3. When you have completed your training, your manager and your supervisor will fill out a certificate for your clinical training (in Swedish). You must also sign the certificate.
  4. Enclose the certificate when you submit your application for a licence in the next step.

You will need special authorisation

In order to practice as a midwife you need to have a temporary permission, i.e. a special authorisation. The workplace must apply for special authorisation at least one month before you are due to start. You cannot apply yourself. You may not begin practicing until the application submitted by the workplace has been approved.

Application form for special authorisation

Frequently asked questions

How long is the period of clinical training?

Your period of clinical training will last for 6 months, 3 months on each workplace. You must find both training positions yourself. The Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen) does not give any financial aid during your clinical training.

If you have questions on how to support yourself during that time it might be a good idea to contact the Public Employment Service, (Arbetsförmedlingen).

Can I skip clinical training if I have worked in my profession?

No. You will need to undergo clinical training even if you have practised your profession before. Previous experience does not entitle you to a shorter period of clinical training.

Do you have furhter questions about this step?

Contact us at the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare. You can send an e-mail at or call us at 075-247 30 00.


Publication date: