Step 3: Pay and send your application

When you have gone through all the steps it is time to apply for a licence.

When you apply for a licence after additional training you have to use the application form for educated outside of the EU and EEA. You can not apply via the e-service for educated in Sweden.

Follow these steps

  1. Fill out the form and make sure you have all the required documents.
  2. Pay the application fee.
  3. Send the application by mail.

Your application should contain:

  • a completed application form
  • a copy of the first page of your valid passport or a copy of your valid Swedish ID card
  • a certificate of your additional training
  • an certificate that you have successfully completed internship (AT)
  • the original AT book (we will not return your documents, so save a copy to be on the safe side).

Pay the application fee when you send your application

  • The fee to apply for a licence is SEK 2 900.
  • Deposit the fee to bank giro account 790-3750 when submitting your application.
  • Include your Swedish personal identity no. (yyyymmddxxxx) in the message box without any hyphens or spaces.
If you do not have a Swedish personal identity number, residence permit or address

You may obtain a licence even if you do not have a Swedish personal identity number, residence permit or address. In order to practice or go to school in Sweden, however, you will have to obtain a residence or work permit from the Swedish Migration Board (Migrationsverket). It is important that you notify us when you have received a Swedish social security number so that we can update the information in the register for Healthcare professionals.

Can i pay in a foreign currency or from an foreign account?

It depends on which bank you are paying from. Check with the bank.

Download and print the application form

Form for application for assessment of education abroad 

Post your application and all documents to

106 30 Stockholm

How long does it take?

Assuming you have included all the required information, processing an application for a licence currently takes approximately 2–4 weeks.

When we receive your application, we will review the police records to verify that you have not been convicted of a serious criminal offence. If your name appears in the records, we will contact you in order to evaluate the situation on an individual basis. You will then have to wait a bit longer than normal.

Frequently asked questions

Can I work straight after I received my licence?

Yes. When we have made a decision, we will enter your details in the National Board of Health and Welfare register of licenced healthcare professionals (HOSP) and notify you by post. You may start practicing your profession as soon as you receive the licence.

What is HOSP?

HOSP is the National Board of Health and Welfare´s register of licenced healthcare professionals. There employers can search to find out if a person has the necessary licence for a certain profession.

Can I apply for recognition of a specialist qualification in my application?

No. You have to send a separate application if you would like to get recognition of a specialist qualification.

Can I appeal a decision from the National Board of Health and Welfare?

If you disagree with a decision from the National Board of Health and Welfare, you can appeal it. The appeal must be in writing and it must reach the National Board of Health and Welfare within three weeks of you taking part of the decision. If the appeal is received later, it cannot be considered.

Follow these steps:

  • Write at the top of the page in the letter: "To Förvaltningsrätten in Stockholm".
  • Indicate in the letter which decision you want to appeal (case number or record number) and which change you want.
  • Send the letter to:
    Enheten för behörighet
    106 30 Stockholm

Do you have questions about how to apply?

Telephone: 075-247 30 00
Telephone hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9–11

Do you have questions about your current application?

If you have submitted an application and have questions about your application, you can contact us. Always state your case number (diary number). During the summer, we have lower staffing, which results in longer response times to incoming questions.

Telephone: 075-247 30 00
Telephone hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9–11

Publication date: