Clinical training if you have a Polish dentist degree

If you have taken a Polish dentist degree without having done clinical training and knowledge tests in the country, you have not achieved full eligibility in Poland under the Professional Qualifications Directive. Therefore, in order to achieve a competence that corresponds to the Swedish credential level, you need to conduct a supervised clinical training in Sweden.

The opportunity to perform clinical training in Sweden applies if you have started your dentist education in Poland before 1 January 2019 and will complete it by 30 June 2024.

Clinical training in Sweden – that's how it goes

During your clinical training period you demonstrate your practical knowledge and skills and your suitability for the profession. At the same time, you will see how the Swedish dental care system works.

Count on previously done training

If you have worked under supervision previously, in Sweden or in another EU or EEA country, you can count on that time. A prerequisite, however, is that the training has been carried out under similar conditions as stated in the Certificate of Practical Services for Persons with Polish Dentistry Degree. You cannot judge for yourself if you have thus obtained a competence that corresponds to the level of Swedish credentials, but that assessment is made by the chief operating officer of the clinic where you performed the training. By completing the certificate of clinical training, the manager can show that you have met the required goals.

Six-month training period

Your period of clinical training will last for six months and you must find a training position yourself. You apply to the National Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen) to do clinical training.

When you submit your application, please submit

  • a completed application form
  • a personal certificate or a copy of a valid passport
  • a copy of diploma of dentist degree.

If the conditions are met, the National Board of Health and Welfare will decide that you will be able to do clinical training.

Application form for clinical training

You will need special authorisation

In order to practise as a dental practitioner you need to have a temporary permission, i.e. special authorisation. The workplace must apply for special authorisation at least one month before you are due to start. You cannot apply yourself. You may not begin practising until the application submitted by the workplace has been approved.

In order to give the service provider the conditions necessary to fulfill the goal of the clinical training, the workplace must, among other things, develop a plan for the training implementation, for example regarding guidance and assistance, information about the clinic's infrastructure, access to patients and information on which management and control documents the clinic uses.

Application form for special authorisation (in Swedish)

Complete training at one workplace

You will undergo all your clinical training at one and the same workplace. It is the workplace that determines whether or not it is a suitable place for your clinical training. The certificate of clinical training contains more information about requirements for a workplace to be able to accept you for training.

The workplace issues a certificate for your clinical training

Your manager and your supervisor will fill out a certificate for your clinical training. You must also sign the certificate. The certificate is a basis for the National Board of Health and Welfare's decision on licence. Enclose the certificate when you submit your application for a licence.

Certificate of clinical training (in Swedish)

Apply for licence after completing the clinical training

Once you have completed your clinical training, you can apply for a licence.

  • Complete the application form.
  • Attach the original certificate from your clinical training.
  • Attach the diploma (if you have not already submitted it).
  • Pay the application fee of SEK 870.

To the application page

Publication date: