Non licence professions

A license is required to work in most of the professions within the Swedish healthcare system. There are also professions which do not require a licence, for example pharmaceutical technician, dental technician and dental nurse.

If you wish to work in a profession that does not require a licence, your employer decides whether you have the right skills or not. Contact the Public Employment Service (Arbetsförmedlingen) or employers directly to apply for jobs or an internship in these professions.

Get your qualification recognised

If you have a qualification for a non-regulated profession you can get your qualification evaluated and recognised by the Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR) in some cases. The Swedish Council for Higher Education will check what your qualifications correspond to in the Swedish education system. This can be helpful when you are applying for a job or want to study.

Would you like to study to work in a licenced profession?

If you would like to work in a licenced profession, but have not completed your education or do not have the required qualification to get a Swedish licence or certificate of protected professional title, you can study to take the Swedish exam. After you have taken the exam you can apply in the same was as a person educated in Sweden.

Information on how to apply and what is required for admission is available on and

Work temporarily in Sweden

If you plan to work in Sweden for a shorter period of time, you can either apply for a permanent license to practice or apply for a temporary license to practice. In order to obtain a temporary license to practice you must be able to prove that you are only planning to work temporarily, that you fulfil all the requirements to work in your profession and that you are currently working in your profession.

Please contact us if you wish to apply for a temporary license to practice, or if you are unsure about which license to apply for.

If you plan to work in Sweden for an unknown period of time we recommend that you apply for a permanent license to practice. To do this, follow the steps above.

Publication date: