Doctor of Medicine

Qualifications from Great Britain?
If you have applied for recognition of your qualifications before Great Britain's departure from EU (Brexit) your application will be assessed based on Directive 2005/36/EC.

If you wish to apply for a licence to practice after Great Briatin's departure you need to apply as Educated outside EU and EEA.

You need a licence to work in Sweden

If you want to work as a doctor of medicine in Sweden you need a Swedish licence. This professional title is protected. This means that only those who have a licence to practice are allowed to call themselves doctors of medicine.

You need to get your qualifications recognised to be able to get a licence. You also need to have language skills in Swedish, Danish or Norwegian. If you are unable to speak any of these languages we recommend that you begin by learning Swedish if you would like to work in Sweden.

You can apply for a licence from us. You do not need a Swedish personal identity number (personnummer) and you do not need to live in Sweden to apply and be granted a licence.

Working as a specialised doctor of medicine

If you want to work as a specialised doctor in Sweden you need to have a doctor's licence and recognition of your specialist qualification. You can apply for both at the same time.

Work temporarily in Sweden

If you plan to work in Sweden for a shorter period of time, you can either apply for a permanent license to practice or apply for a temporary license to practice. In order to obtain a temporary license to practice you must be able to prove that you are only planning to work temporarily, that you fulfil all the requirements to work in your profession and that you are currently working in your profession.

Please contact us if you wish to apply for a temporary license to practice, or if you are unsure about which license to apply for.

If you plan to work in Sweden for an unknown period of time we recommend that you apply for a permanent license to practice. To do this, follow the steps above.