You will need a licence or special authorisation

If you would like to practice as a pharmacist in Sweden, you will need a Swedish licence or special authorisation. The title of pharmacist is protected by law. In other words, you may refer to yourself as a pharmacist only if you have a licence.

If you do not have a Swedish personal identity number, residence permit or address

You may obtain a licence even if you do not have a Swedish personal identity number, residence permit or address. In order to practice or go to school in Sweden, however, you will have to obtain a residence or work permit from the Swedish Migration Board (Migrationsverket). It is important that you notify us when you have received a Swedish social security number so that we can update the information in the register for Healthcare professionals.

If you have a licence in an EU or EEA country

If you were educated outside the EU and EEA, were awarded a licence in an EU or EEA country and practiced under that licence for at least three years, apply as if your education were in an EU or EEA country.

Overview of licences and special authorisation

  • A licence is proof that a practitioner has the skills and qualifications that a profession requires. A total of 21 different healthcare professions demand licences in Sweden. To put it another way, those particular professions are regulated by law. A licence is permanent but may be revoked due to malpractice, gross incompetence or conviction for a serious criminal offence.
  • Special authorisation is temporary permission to practice a profession under a particular employer. The employer must apply to us for special authorisation. However, the employer can issue special authorisation on its own under certain circumstances.