From 1 January 2017 we have a new system for opticians that have been educated outside the EU and EEA.

New system for applying for a license to practice for opticians

You will need to have a licence

If you would like to practice as an optician in Sweden, you will need a Swedish licence. The title of optician is protected by law. In other words, you may refer to yourself as a optician only if you have a licence.

You need more competences to perform certain tasks

To be able to perform certain tasks, it is not sufficient simply to have a licence. In order to test contact lenses, you need to have contact lens competence. You can apply for contact lens competence at the same time as you apply for a licence. Before you work with diagnostic drops, you need to have requisitioning rights. Before you can apply for requisitioning rights, you need to have obtained your licence.

If you do not have a Swedish personal identity number, residence permit or address

You may obtain a licence even if you do not have a Swedish personal identity number, residence permit or address. In order to practice or go to school in Sweden, however, you will have to obtain a residence or work permit from the Swedish Migration Board (Migrationsverket).

If you have a licence in an EU or EEA country

If you were educated outside the EU and EEA, were awarded a licence in an EU or EEA country and practiced under that licence for at least three years, apply as if your education were in an EU or EEA country.

A brief look at licences
A licence is proof that a practitioner has the skills and qualifications that a profession requires. A total of 21 different healthcare professions demand licences in Sweden. To put it another way, those particular professions are regulated by law. A licence is permanent but may be revoked due to malpractice, gross incompetence or conviction for a serious criminal offence.