Assessing your education

The first step is to have your education assessed

The first step towards obtaining a licence is for us to assess the education you received abroad. We will determine whether the level, length and content of your education are equivalent to the Swedish system. You will receive a decision explaining whether you can proceed and how to take the next step.

Obtaining an assessment of your education is free of charge. You do not need to know Swedish or have a Swedish personal identity number, residence permit or address.

This is what to do

You will need to submit an application if you would like your education to be assessed. Fill out an application form and send it to us along with several required documents. Do not send your original documents. If we need to assess the original documents, we will notify you.

Submit your application

The application must contain

  • an application form for assessment of education abroad
  • a copy of a valid passport or a copy of a valid Swedish ID card.

Please also send copies of the following documents, in both the original language and translated:

  • a copy of a certificate of completed education, for example your diploma
  • a copy of a certificate that lists the courses you took and how long the programme lasted
  • a copy of a certificate that shows any changes you have made to your first or last name after completing the programme.

After entering your application in our system, we will send a confirmation to any email address you have provided. Confirmation is sent via e-mail only.

Application form for assessment of education abroad

Each document must be in both the original language and a Swedish or English translation

Make sure that you submit each document in the original language, as well as a Swedish or English translation. You must use an authorised translator. The translation can be made in any country. You do not have to translate your passport.

If you do not have all the documents

If the situation in your country of education does not allow you to get the documents needed for your application you can still apply. If that is the case, you should submit the documents you have and an explanation why you cannot submit all the required documents.

If you do not have a graduate certificate or diploma, contact the Swedish Council for Higher Education (Universitets- och högskolerådet, UHR) and apply for a so-called Background Paper. Once you have this, please enclose it with your application to us.

Post your application

SE-106 30 Stockholm, Sweden

Things to do while waiting for our decision

Here are a few suggestions:

Decision via e-mail

When the National Board of Health and Welfare has reviewed your education and made a decision, we will send the decision to the e-mail address you have provided in your application. From June 1, 2017 we do not sign the decisions, but they are valid in the same way as before.

How long will you have to wait?

Right now we have a high workload. At the moment the waiting time is about 5 months if all the required information is included. We are working to shorten the processing time.